Franz Research Group
- August 2012. Congratulations to Andy Franks for being awarded the Pelham Wilder Fellowship from the department for exceptional work in undergraduate instruction, and to Marian Helsel for the CR Hauser Memorial Fellowship for demonstrating an exceptional aptitude for research.
- July 2012. Qin passes her prelim! Way to go Qin.
- July 2012. Congratulations Dr. Drew Folk, the latest Franz Lab PhD.
- June 2012. Congratulations Marian and Andy, who were both selected to give "Poster Slam" presentations at the Metals in Medicine Gordon Conference.
- What is Inorganic Chemistry? Go to the Duke University "Core Concepts in Chemistry" iTunes U course and click on lecture #4 "The Periodic Table and Life" (click on "view in iTunes" to get to the free content).
- More video? Check out the ACS Publications "Why I read" campaign video, featuring Kathy and other chemists describing why they read and publish in ACS journals.
- April, 2012: Samhita and Justin present their independent study projects at the Chemistry Department Poster Session. Nice work!
- April, 2012: Congratulations to Mark and David for passing their prelim exams! Next stop, PhD . . .
- March, 2012: Congratulations to Drew for winning a Best Poster Prize at the ACS National Meeting in San Diego. Drew's poster, entitled "Visualizing Beta-Sectretase Activity in Cells with a Membrane Anchored FRET Probe" was part of a special symposium on "Chemical Interactions of Metal-Related Therapeutic Drugs".
- January 2012: Qiang Su joins the lab as a first-year graduate student!
- Check out Jeff's cover art on the Feb 2012 issue of J. Inorg. Biochem.
- Group Alums Jeff and Kat can't escape the Franz Lab, even when touring in Italy! (October, 2011)
- April 7, 2011: Congratulations Dr. Hyman!!!
- January, 2011: Welcome new group members Mark Sleeper, David Besse and Qin Wang
- July 23, 2010: Congratulations Dr. Crider!
- July 14, 2010: Congratulations Dr. Dickens!
- June 24, 2010: Congratulations Dr. Rubino!
- June, 2010: Congratulations to Drew for receiving a Burroughs Wellcome Fellowhip from the Department, and to Marian for receiving a fellowship from the Pharmacology Sciences Training Program!
- April, 2010: Check out Jeff's paper on Mets motifs and Cu in J. Biol. Inorg. Chem.
- Robert and Stephanie present their posters at the Dept of Chemistry Independent Study Poster Session. Nice work!
- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! Oh . . . and Kathy was promoted to associate professor with tenure. Good job, group!
- March 15 and April 2, 2010: Congratulations Drs. Kat Haas and Kate Ciesienski, the latest PhD's from the group!!!
- March 2010: Congratulations Drew on his JACS communication showing that a prochelating peptide can be activated by beta-secretase to sequester copper from amyloid beta! The paper was also picked up as a Highlight in the March 29, 2010 issue of C&EN News and an article on hometown hero Drew appeared in The Reading Eagle!
- March, 2010: Congratulations to Lissette for completing her Master's Thesis!
- January, 2010: Check out the article in GoDuke Weekly on our own chemist/wrestler Robert Holbrook. Go Robert!
- December, 2009: Welcome new group members Marian Helsel and Andrew Franks!!
- Nov, 2009. Congratulations to Marina for receiving the Departmental Recognition Award (and free parking pass!) for November!!!
- Oct/Nov, 2009. Lynne celebrates publication of her Copper FlamB paper in Dalton Trans, Sarah & Robert celebrate publication of their Platinum-Mets paper in Metallomics, Marina toasts acceptance of her QBP manuscript in ChemBioChem, and Lissette celebrates her Perspective article's acceptance in Dalton Trans.
June, 2009. Kat celebrates acceptance of our Chemical Reviews paper: Application of Metal Coordination Chemistry To Explore and Manipulate Cell Biology
- May, 2009. Kathy is awarded a Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award! The award recognizes outstanding scholarship and commitment to education.
- March, 2009. Congratulations to Lissette for passing her prelim exam!
- January, 2009. Drew Folk joins the lab as a first year grad student.
- November, 2008. Congratulations JEFF, SARAH, MARINA, and LYNNE for passing their 3rd-Year Propositional Exams!
- August, 2008. Copper has been caged! Check out our recent JACS communication, spearheaded by Kate, with contributions from Kat, Marina, and Yohannes.
- August, 2008. Congratulations to Kate Ciesienski for receiving a Zeilik Fellowship from the Department! Way to go Kate.
- March 20, 2008. Congratulations to Lou for completing her PhD. Way to go Dr. Charkoudian!!!
- Jan, 2008. Lissette Perez joins the lab as a first-year grad student.
- September, 2007. Lou and David Published a "Hot Article" in Dalton Trans as part of a special edition on Metals in Medicine and Healthcare!
Check out the press release on our recent results:
Separating the Brain's 'Bad' from 'Good' Iron.
2007 Congratulations to the following awardees:
Louise Charkoudian for the Paul Magnus Gross Fellowship.
Sarah Crider and Kathryn Haas for the Pelham Wilder Teaching Award.
Daniel Yang for a Beckman Scholarship.
Katie Ciesienski and Kathryn Haas have their propositional exams!